Acquire the skills to make your data protection strategy successful with the Veritas NetBackup 8.1.2: Administration course. You will learn the general principles, configuration, and management of NetBackup, including how to best utilize the NetBackup tools and interfaces, effectively monitor backup operations, and ensure data recovery objectives are met.
By the completion of this course, you will be able to:
- Discuss the challenges of performing backups in today’s enterprise computing environments.
- Describe the functions of the master server, media servers, and clients.
- Diagram the NetBackup product architecture.
- Define common terms used in the NetBackup product.
- Describe how NetBackup backs up and restores data.
- Identify NetBackup options and agents.
- Use the NetBackup Administration Console, Web Interface, and OpsCenter.
- Configure and manage basic disk storage units and storage unit groups.
- Configure file system backup policies and schedules.
- Perform manual backups and user-directed backups.
- Restore files using the Java or Windows BAR interface and OpsCenter Operational Restore.
- Monitor NetBackup backup and restore jobs and perform basic troubleshooting and information-gathering steps related to failing jobs.
- Configure and manage AdvancedDisk storage units and disk pools.
- Configure tape-based devices and volume pools; perform a robot inventory.
- Manage robot and tape drive settings, including media sharing.
- Monitor and manage media and media states.
- Configure, run, and manage virtual machine backups using VMware.
- Recover virtual machines, including using VMware Instant Recovery.
- Use the integrated NetBackup vSphere Web Client Plugin for VMware.
- Describe the various methods of backup image duplication.
- Configure Storage Lifecycle Policies (SLPs) and initiate jobs that use SLPs.
- Manage the NetBackup catalog to search for, verify, duplicate, import, and expire backup images.
- Back up and recover the NetBackup catalogs.
- Optimize file system backups using incremental backups, True Image Restore, synthetic backups, NetBackup Accelerator, multiple data streams, and multiplexing.
- Identify and use resources for troubleshooting NetBackup, including the support information gathering tools related.
WHO SHOULD ATTEND
This course is intended for technical professionals responsible for the design, configuration, operation, monitoring, or support of NetBackup.
Students should be familiar with general network and storage concepts, and the administration and configuration of Windows or Linux operating systems.
This course includes practical hands-on lab exercises to apply your new skills in a virtual NetBackup domain. At the start of class students will choose between Windows-based or Linux-based NetBackup servers to perform lab exercises.
- Data protection and the NetBackup environment
- NetBackup concepts
- NetBackup Appliance Overview
- Using the NetBackup Administration Console
- Using the NetBackup web interface
- Using NetBackup OpsCenter
Configuring NetBackup Storage
- NetBackup storage device concepts
- Configuring and managing a basic disk storage unit
- Configuring storage unit groups
- Introduction to backup policies
- Creating and configuring policy attributes
- Creating a policy schedule
- Adding client to a policy
- Creating backup selections
- Managing existing policies
Performing File System Backups
- Using and customizing the NetBackup Activity Monitor
- Performing manual backup operations
- Performing user-directed backups
- Backup job-related tips
Performing File System Restores
- Introduction to restores
- Performing restore operations using the BAR interface
- Performing restore operations using OpsCenter Operational Restore
- Restore job-related tips
Configuring Disk Pools
- Understanding disk pools and AdvancedDisk
- Configuring AdvancedDisk
- Managing AdvancedDisk storage
Configuring Media Server Deduplication
- Introduction to NetBackup deduplication
- Configuring NetBackup media server deduplication
- Configuring client-side deduplication
- Managing NetBackup deduplication
Configuring Tape Storage
- Understanding Media Manager storage units
- Configuring tape devices
- Verifying tape storage
- NetBackup media concepts
- Configuring media
Managing Tape Storage
- Managing robots and tape drives
- Monitoring media and media states
- Managing tapes
- Media- and device- related tips
Performing Virtual Machines Backups
- Introduction to virtual machine backups
- Configuring VMware backups
- Protecting VMware Assets using the web UI
- Performing and Monitoring VM Backups
Performing Virtual Machines Restores
- Managing virtual machine restores
- Managing VMware restores
- Using VMware Instant Recovery
Duplicating Backups Using Storage Lifecycle Policies
- Backup duplication concepts
- Storage lifecycle policy concepts
- Using storage lifecycle policies
- Additional Storage Lifecycle Policy features and benefits
Managing and Protecting the NetBackup Catalog
- Introduction to NetBackup catalogs
- Managing images
- Configuring a catalog backup policy
- Disaster recovery strategies
Optimizing File System Backups
- File system backup challenges
- Optimizing file system backups
- Optimizing file system backups with NetBackup Accelerator
- Using multiple data streams
- Optimizing tape drive performance using multiplexing
- Handling busy files on UNIX and Windows file systems
Collecting Logs and Diagnostic Information
- Performing basic NetBackup troubleshooting
- Identifying NetBackup processes, services, and daemons
- NetBackup logging overview
- Using the support utilities
- Using NetBackup support resources