DP0134 : NetBackup 7.7 : Administration Training
Duration : 5 day
ABOUT THIS COURSE
The NetBackup 7.7: Administration course provides the IT professional with instruction on the functionality of NetBackup 7.7 software. This course covers the general principles of using NetBackup to develop and implement a storage management strategy, including how to:
- Configure and operate NetBackup 7.7
- Manage NetBackup using the graphical interfaces, commands, and scripts.
- Provide service protection and recovery.
- Use the NetBackup Activity Monitor, NetBackup reports, and OpsCenter to monitor NetBackup activity.
By the completion of this course, you will be able to:
- Discuss the challenges of performing backups in today’s enterprise computing environments.
- Describe the functions of the master server, media servers, and clients.
- Diagram the NetBackup product architecture.
- Define common terms used in the NetBackup product.
- Describe how NetBackup backs up and restores data.
- Identify NetBackup options and agents.
- Use the NetBackup Administration Console and OpsCenter.
- Configure and manage basic disk storage units and storage unit groups.
- Configure file system backup policies and schedules.
- Perform manual backups and user-directed backups.
- Restore files using the Java or Windows BAR interface and OpsCenter Operational Restore.
- Monitor NetBackup backup and restore jobs and perform basic troubleshooting and information-gathering steps related to failing jobs.
- Configure and manage AdvancedDisk storage units and disk pools.
- Configure tape-based devices and volume pools; perform a robot inventory.
- Manage robot and tape drive settings, including media sharing.
- Monitor and manage media and media states.
- Configure, run, and manage virtual machine backups using VMware.
- Discuss other supported virtualization methods.
- Recover virtual machines, including using VMware Instant Recovery.
- Use the integrated NetBackup vSphere Web Client Plug-in for VMware.
- Describe the various methods of backup image duplication.
- Configure Storage Lifecycle Policies (SLPs) and initiate jobs that use SLPs.
- Manage the NetBackup catalog to search for, verify, duplicate, import, and expire backup images.
- Back up and recover the NetBackup catalogs.
- Optimize file system backups using incremental backups, True Image Restore, synthetic backups, NetBackup Accelerator, multiple data streams, and multiplexing.
- Identify and use resources for troubleshooting NetBackup, including the NetBackup logging assistant, and tools related to debug logging.
WHO SHOULD ATTEND
This course is intended for technical professionals responsible for the design, configuration, operation, monitoring, or support of NetBackup.
Students should be familiar with general network and storage concepts, and the administration and configuration of Windows or Linux operating systems.
This course includes practical hands-on lab exercises to apply your new skills in a virtual NetBackup domain. At the start of class students will choose between Windows-based or Linux-based NetBackup servers to perform lab exercises.
- Introduction to data protection
- The NetBackup environment
- NetBackup concepts
- Using the NetBackup Administration Console
- NetBackup appliance overview
- Using NetBackup OpsCenter
Configuring NetBackup Storage
- NetBackup storage device concepts
- Configuring NetBackup basic disk storage
- Verifying basic disk storage
Configuring Policies and Schedules
- Introduction to backup policies
- Creating and configuring policy attributes
- Creating a policy schedule
- Adding client to a policy
- Creating backup selections
- Managing existing policies
Performing File System Backups
- Using and customizing the NetBackup Activity Monitor
- Performing manual backup operations
- Performing user-directed backups
- Backup job-related tips
Performing File System Restores
- Introduction to restores
- Performing restore operations using the BAR interface
- Performing restore operations using OpsCenter Operational Restore
- Restore job-related tips
Configuring Disk Pools
- Understanding disk pools and AdvancedDisk
- Configuring AdvancedDisk
- Managing AdvancedDisk storage
Configuring Media Server Deduplication
- Introduction to NetBackup deduplication
- Configuring NetBackup media server deduplication
- Configuring client-side deduplication
- Managing NetBackup deduplication
Configuring Tape Storage
- Understanding Media Manager storage units
- Configuring tape devices
- Verifying tape storage
- NetBackup media concepts
- Configuring media
Managing Tape Storage
- Managing robots and tape drives
- Monitoring media and media states
- Managing tapes
- Media and device related tips
Protecting Virtual Machines
- Introduction to virtual machine backups
- Configuring VMware backups
- Performing and Monitoring VM Backups
- NetBackup support for other virtualization solutions
Recovering Virtual Machines
- Managing VMware restores
- Using VMware Instant Recovery
- Using the NetBackup vSphere Web Client Plug-in
- Backup duplication concepts
- Storage lifecycle policy concepts
- Using storage lifecycle policies
- Configuring optimized duplication
- Additional Storage Lifecycle Policy features and benefits
Managing and Protecting the NetBackup Catalog
- Introduction to NetBackup catalogs
- Managing images
- Configuring a catalog backup policy
- Disaster recovery strategies
Optimizing File System Backups
- File system backup challenges
- Configuring for True Image Restores
- Using synthetic backups
- Optimizing file system incremental backups with change logs
- Using NetBackup Accelerator
- Using multiple data streams
- Optimizing tape drive performance using multiplexing
- Handling busy files on UNIX and Windows file systems
Collecting Logs and Diagnostic Information
- Support resources
- NetBackup processes, services, and daemons
- Introduction to Logging Assistant
- NetBackup and Media Manager logging overview
- Using the support utilities